Guy Answers the Question:
Can I Change My Personality Style on Purpose?
People often tell me that they believe that they have changed their personality style, and then they ask me if I think this is possible.
My general answer is this: It might be possible. I don't think it is probable.
In short, I don't think that your core, inner, basic personality style changes unless you experience some type of major psychological or brain trauma.
I do think that you can learn to behave differently in different situations. I think that you can learn to adapt, mold, and shape your behavioral style to increase your effectiveness in a broad range of situations.
However, changing your words and actions does not change your personality style.
Further, why would you want to change your personality style? Assuming that you fall in the range of normal human psychology, your personality style is just another expression of “normal.”
Wanting to change your personality style implies that there is something wrong with your natural one.
In the vast majority of people, there is nothing wrong with their personality style. So, why try to change it?
As we consider the question raised in the title of this post, we have to carefully distinguish between who we are and what we do.
Personality style relates to our perceptions, interpretations, priorities, and reactions to the world around us. Behavior style is often related to our personality style, and it is influenced by many other things. Personality style is part of who we are. Behavior style is merely what we do. They are definitely related. They are not exactly the same thing.
So, can you change your behaviors in response to the world around you? Absolutely you can!
Can you change your personality style? Not real likely.
This article is from the DISC FAQ's series. Use the links below to read more from this series.
- DISC Model FAQ's: Can Four Styles Really Describe Everyone?
- DISC Model FAQ's: Could I Have More Than One DISC Behavior Style?
- DISC Model FAQ's: Can I Have One DISC Style at Work and Another DISC Style at Home?
- DISC Model FAQ's: Is One Style Better Than the Others?
- DISC Model FAQ's: Can Your Personality Style Change Over Time
- DISC Model Frequently Asked Questions
- DISC Model FAQ's: Is Changing Your Behavior Phoney?
- DISC FAQ's: Can I Change My Personality Style On Purpose?
- A DISC Model Question You Should Ask of Yourself
- Effective Communication Skills: How to Quickly Guess a Person’s DISC Style
- Why I Use The DISC Model